[Electronics-talk] Accessible Electric Ranges

Kendra Schaber Baltimore777 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 27 00:12:35 UTC 2013

I have never seen an oven or any applience like that with braille lables or
buttons. I have seen ovens with nobs and they usually come with a stove with
nobs. With the newer flat screen and flat serfice trend going around, I have
become a big supporter of universal design. I think that anything with a
flat screen needs voice output since the screen itself can change. When you
get screens that change, lables don't do any good especially when buttons
are on the changable flat screen. I have a oven that has one of those
changeable flat screens. I even tried to lable it with braille and I still
did not find it helpful. I don't use it because not even someone with site
has been able to figure it out. I have to use my stove or microwave for
cooking. The same goes for my two blind friends who live in the same
building that I do. I hate my oven! I do love my stove which I was able to
lable with the land lord's permition, the dish washer which I also labled
with braille, again with permition from the land lord, the washer and drier
with the land lord's permition and the microwave which I got from my mom
when I moved into my apartment. My friends also complain about not being
able to use their oven for the same reason. I suggested them to go to a
friend's place and use their oven instead. The big applience came with the
apartment so there is not much we can do about the oven. I also hate it when
you go to visit your parent's place and not be able to use their appliences
because every one of them are flat screen and flat buttons. O.K., sited
people believe that flat screens and flat buttons are cool! Sure, it's not
your house so you can't influence their free will beyond your conplaints.
Sure, they are doing it because they have wanted to do that for a while and
they are free from having to have buttons because you don't live there any
longer. I think that universal design will allow them to use it without
having to mess with buttons but it will also allow you to use the applience
at your time too. Yah, my parents have done that at their house. I can't use
their appliences when I go over there. I can't do much other than complain
and let them know what I think. I hope that when universal design finally
becomes the law that they will implament it into their kitchen and laundry
room. When you go to choose your apliences, I would feel it first, ask
questions about the screen itself and the buttons as well and shop around
until the eagles fly home. You might have to order some of the older modles
to avoid the changing flat screen garbige just so that you can lable the
buttons and actually have them be helpful. I can't wait until our government
finally passes the technology bill of right's act! By the way, I love the
iphone because even though they are flat screen, they also use universal
design. The design of the iphone is only one of the many zillions of reasons
why I raive about the iphone. Once I learned how to use my iphone, I almost
never have nothing going on my iphone.
Kendra