[Electronics-talk] ACCESSIBLE TABLETS/NETBOOKS

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 03:27:12 UTC 2013

JAWS doesn't run on Android. I was assuming the netbook would be running
Windows, although you could go with a netbook running Linux and using
Orca. It would be even snappier than a Windows based netbook.

Accessible tablets would be running IOS with VoiceOver or Android with
Talk Back, unless you can run JAWS on a Surface Pro running Windows 8.

On 03/07/2013 08:59 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> If it doesn't work because jaws is too large, you might consider trying
> nvda and get away with a smaller footprint.  I'm surprised jaws even runs
> on android at all, I thought that was a Linux variant. On Thu, 7 Mar 2013,
> Christopher Chaltain wrote:
>
>> Netbooks will typically be accessible. The keyboard may be a bit small and
>> you'll want to make sure it has enough RAM to run your screen reader,
>> especially JAWS.
>>
>> Tablets are generally touch screen devices, and the only accessible tablets I
>> know of are the iPad and those running Android 4.0 or later.
>>
>> The Surface Pro from MS might work with a screen reader like JAWS, but I
>> haven't heard any first hand experience with that.
>>
>> On 03/07/2013 05:25 PM, Anita Ogletree wrote:
>>> Has anyone ever used a tablet or netbook? If so, was it accessible? I
>>> found some reasonable ones on Amazon.

>>> Electronics-talk:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/electronics-talk_nfbnet.org/chaltain%40gmail.com

Christopher (CJ)