[Electronics-talk] windows8 failed installation with jaws13

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Mar 16 00:22:30 UTC 2013

Why jaws13 usually can't install is that Dell put a video driver on the
laptop that the laptop needs for the advanced video card Dell put in the
laptop.  Jaws doesn't know anything about your advanced video driver or
your really new video card so Jaws spasms out and doesn't install.  That's
happened to me twice with Jaws on two different machines and two different
versions of Jaws.  Once at work, and the video card drivers had to be
upgraded because the Navy insists on using ancient versions of jaws and
that time Jaws had the video driver for the card but not in the old
version of jaws the Navy was using.  The other time it happened was on a
windows 98 box at home and the patch henter-joyce sent me after it was
applied to their demonstration version of jaws still wouldn't get jaws
installed.  So I bought Window-eyes 3.01 and put the cd in the machine and
when it started up I got a welcome to window-eyes message from Rodney
Milsap and went on from there.  Unfortunately, Window-eyes from what I
read over on the blind-geeks email list on yahoogroups.com has dropped the
development environments torch they held so high many years ago.  There
once was a time when Microsoft wouldn't use jaws any more for its
accessibility demonstrations since jaws kept on crashing on them and
Microsoft switched over to using window-eyes.  Before I visited with David
Bolnick the Head of Microsoft's Accessibility division at the time,
Microsoft didn't even know GWMicro or Window-eyes existed or what they
could do in terms of screen reader accessibility.  I gave Microsoft a clue
on that bit of information.

Quickest way to deal with this is install nvda and don't look back.  Many
of the keystrokes are identical to those used in jaws too.  The insert-n
is how you get into the nvda menus themselves though not insert-j  like
jaws though.