[Electronics-talk] accessibility and windows tablets

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 04:26:26 UTC 2013

Surface is a line of tablets from Microsoft. They will all come with
Narrator.

The Surface or the Surface RT has an ARM processor and runs Windows RT,
a port of windows 8 to the ARM processor. Only applications ported to
Windows RT will run on the Surface. In other words, you can't take just
any application running on Windows 8 and run it on Windows RT. The
Surface does come with a preview version of Office RT. Here's a a good
review of the Surface from a blindness perspective:
https://nfb.org/blog/atblog/microsoft-surface-rt

The Surface Pro is a tablet running Windows 8 and uses an Intel processor.

Other companies, like Asus, will also be coming out with tablets running
Windows.

On 03/23/2013 12:16 PM, Ashley Bramlett wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for telling me about the accessibility of tablets and windows tablets too.
> It is good news that Microsoft improved accessibility and included Narrator and a better magnifier on one kind of their tablet.
>
> I am a little confused though.
> Jim Barbour just wrote
> The Microsoft Surface does have narrator on it.  You may or may not
> like how it works, but it is there.
>
> Okay, what does this mean? Is the surface the type of tablet? Are you all saying that some windows tablets have narrator and some do not?
> If so, which tablets have Narrator? What is the difference between Surface Pro and Surface?
>
> If you have used Narrator on these tablets, what is your experience?  Is there only one synthesizer? I ask since on some products you can change the voice.
> What is on the tablet out of the box versus what do you have to buy? Does it come with an email client? I assume it has internet explorer. What word processor is on it? Any accessible games you can use?
>
> Thank you.
> I’m also going to the Windows store and it will be interesting to know if they have a clue about accessibility. If not, I’ll just expiriement with them and see if we can get narrator started and ask general questions about the tablet.
>
> Thanks.
> Ashley

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail