[Electronics-talk] washing machine

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 23:23:37 UTC 2013

With my current pair of washing machine and dryer, I don't have any
labels on it. The washing machine has a hard stop on the left and on the
right of the rotary dial to select the type of load. I know that normal
is six clicks to the right and so on. The dryer has a raised arrow on
the knob, and I know 12:00 is normal. I did have labels on my previous
washing machine and dryer though. I didn't use anything fancy though,
just pieces of tape and stick on dots.

both my washing machine and dryer beep when they're done. I didn't
actually time them, but over time, I've picked up about how long they take.

On 11/26/2013 01:22 PM, Ashley Bramlett wrote:
> Hello all,
> Thanks for the washing machine ideas; so nice to know there are models
> with knobs and buttons. I saw some at an electronics store when we were
> shopping for other items; it was Best Buy I think.
> There were whirlpool ones with mostly knobs you turn to set the
> temperature andtype of wash cycle.
> It seemed usable.
>
> Do you all label the knobs so you know where to turn it? If so, is that
> glue substance, called high marks, I think, a good way to mark it?
> We cannot see where in the wash cycle the machine is. So do you just
> suggest timing it so you know approximately how much time is left?
>
> Thanks.
> Ashley
> -----Original Message----- From: Snow White Dove
> Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2013 9:41 PM
> To: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
> Cc: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
> Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] washing machine
>
> not so my friends,
> Just got A brand-new washer and dryer from Sears, though I was the
> cheapest one. That did not have buttons or anything like that that you
> couldn't feel.
> Everything was pretty easy to use. If you had to choose your warm cool
> hot that kind of thing, it was a button not one that you question lights
> up but actual button.
>
> The dryer is really easy to so just pick the cheapest Kenmore washer and
> dryer set and you'll do just fine.
> Jenny
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 9, 2013, at 10:57 AM, "Gerald Levy" <bwaylimited at verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Good luck trying to find a washer that still has mechanical controls.
>> Electronic controls became standard on even the cheapest models about
>> ten years ago, and I am not aware of any current models that still
>> have mechanical controls, although you might be able to find a low-end
>> GE/Hotpoint, Maytag or Whirlpool model that still has them if you
>> search hard enough online.  Most models have flat touchpads with
>> digital displays like microwave ovens.  I suppose you can label the
>> various buttons with tactile markers to more easily locate them, but
>> there is no way to accurately determine the remaining washing time
>> without using a talking countdown timer after you set the washer for a
>> particular wash cycle.
>>
>> Gerald
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ashley Bramlett"
>> <bookwormahb at earthlink.net>