[Electronics-talk] Best App For Scanning Text

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Tue Oct 22 15:56:46 UTC 2013

Prizmo is good, but for blind people, the main issue is getting the
camera properly situated in regards to the printed page. With whatever
you use, I strongly recommend the use of an aid like the Standscan Pro.
It is basically a cardboard box with one side open. You slide the
material you want to read into the box via the open side and line it up
with the edges of the box.  On the top of the box is a cut out large
enough for the iPhone's camera lens. Set the iPhone on top of the box
lined up in such a way that the camera lens sits over the cut out, and
then take your picture. If everything is positioned properly, you should
get a good scan. There are two models of the Standscan. I recommend the
Pro model because it has little LED lights inside the box, which aid
with lighting, which is another important issue, and one that blind
people have trouble allowing for.  Since the Standscan came out, there
are other aids that have come on the market that do the same thing.
Having and using these kinds of aids can make all the difference in the
world, and can result in getting good scans no matter which app you use.

Andy