[Electronics-talk] talking programmable thermostats

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Sun Oct 27 18:08:36 UTC 2013

The landlord of our apartment complex didn't have a problem with us switching out the inaccessible thermostat for a talking one. We bought the VIP, and we had the complex's heating & air conditioning guy install it. I know it gives instructions to install it yourself, but in an apartment complex I would never do that. The heating & air system is much too complicated at a complex like this. My husband is an engineer and he said he's glad we had that guy do it because he doesn't think he would've been able to after seeing what was involved. But ask your landlord; I would think they would be able to have it done. And make sure you know what type of heating system the building has before purchasing the thermostat. Some thermostats don't work with all types of heating systems. We bought the higher end VIP one just to increase the likelihood it'd work for not only this apartment but also any other we could potentially move to in the future, and we're glad we did because we found out that the lower cost one wouldn't have worked here.

Message: 16