[Electronics-talk] Shoe for the blind

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 15 12:35:20 UTC 2013

You know, Henry Ford was thought to be a nut when he started working on a
motorized buggy.  People said that there was no need for such a thing.  I'm
sure at the time there were many people that did not need a motorized buggy.
They were happy, comfortable and content with their horse drawn wagon, a
bicycle or walking.  Louis Braille's dot system took a while to catch on as
very few people had an expectation that people who were blind needed to read

I agree with you that some people come up with ideas for gadgets, without
having a clear idea about how such a device can or cannot be used by their
targeted audience.  Keep in mind that it was the disabled community that
fought for curb cuts and look at how parents with baby strollers and
delivery people rely on them.

I agree that a shoe for the blind is not for everyone, but there are other
people that can benefit from it.  Not everyone has hands that can hold a
cane of dog harness.  Maybe the shoe as a mobility device such as it is
currently being designed does not make the grade, it is a starting point.
The fact that the item does not need batteries and gets its power from the
user walking, can lead to other items such as chargers for cell phone, GPS
systems that are used by people who are blind to navigate on foot, or maybe
as a power source for some of the new retina implants being developed.

We are all entitled to our own opinions and to make choices that are best
for ourselves.

Annette