[Electronics-talk] TV with Easily accessible Audio Describedprogramming.

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Sep 21 12:11:16 UTC 2013

This seems to be the Holy Grail of home electronic devices for blind
consumers like us.  I have yet to find a flat panel LcD or plasma TV that
has a dedicated button on the remote control for turning the SAP channel on
and off.  They all require navigating through a bunch of onscreen menus to
accomplish this, which, of course, requires sighted help.  And if you have
cable or satellite TV like most of us, it doesn't matter whether the TV
itself has an easy way to turn SAP on and off because the SAP channel is
sent by the provider and controlled by the set-top box, which, again
requires sighted help to navigate its onscreen menus.  The idea that
accessible set-top boxes and TV's are coming soon thanks to FCC rules
adopted a few years ago is sheer fantasy.  It just ain't gonna happen.  When
I ask the customer service reps at Time Warner Cable when they will have a
blind accessible cable box available, they just start muttering huh,and
what's that.  So if accessible boxes ever become available , nobody at the
cable companies will be aware of them anyway.  Such are the travails of
being a blind consumer in the 21st century.

Gerald