[Electronics-talk] TV with Easily accessible AudioDescribedprogramming.

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Sep 21 17:02:38 UTC 2013

This podcast merely demonstrated a prototype of a possible future cable box
design.  It did not demonstrate the features of a cable box that is
available right now to Comcast customers, nor did it offer "proof" that the
introduction of such a device is imminent.  Indeed, nowhere in the podcast
did I hear the Comcast rep mention when this talking cable box would become
available to any blind or disabled customer who requests one.  I can tell
you that Time Warner, the cable provider that I am stuck with has no plans
to offer such a talking cable box in the foreseeable future.  Nor will they
be forced to do so.  Last month, they blacked out CBS for millions of their
customers over a contract dispute despite the fact that the FCC "must carry"
rule requires them to provide all local, over-the-air channels to their
customers.  Was Time Warner punished for its egregious action?  Of course
not, because the FCC is totally inept and ineffectual as a regulatory
agency.  So if Time Warner and its other cable rivals fail to comply with
the new FCC rules that require them to offer accessible cable boxes, what is
going to happen?  Are they going to be fined?  Maybe, but not likely.  Are
their executives going to face criminal prosecution for violating the civil
rights of their blind and disabled customers?  Of course not.  So excuse me
if you find my cynicism annoying.  Remember all the hoopla over the Insignia
Narrator talking HD radio when it was first demonstrated last year?  I
skeptically predicted that it would be discontinued within a year.  How did
that work out?  Did Best Buy make any kind of concerted effort to find a new
manufacturer for this product when the original one decided to stop making
it?  I don't think so.  And Panasonic demonstrated a prototype of a TV with
talking menus in Europe a few years ago, but it never became available in
the US, and earlier this year  it announced plans to exit the consumer
electronics market altogether. Have any other manufactures demonstrated TV
sets with talking menus in this country?  I am not aware of any.   We blind
consumers have been screwed over too many times before, so I see no reason
to believethat things will be any different this time around.  Sorry, but I
have to tell it like it is.  And if you find my messages annoying, simply
hit the delete key on your precious Mac.

Gerald