[Electronics-talk] MAC vs PC

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Aug 17 16:40:15 UTC 2014

I second Dave's questions, and haven't seen any answers to them yet.

I have extensively used by MacOS 10 with voiceover and windows with
most of the well known screen readers on them.

The generally accepted pros for using a Mac for blind folks are...

* The screen reader is free and built into the OS.
* The hardware is nicer
* You get Apple levels of support

The generally accepted cons for using a mac for blind folks are...

* Voiceover is not a mature as windows screen readers like JAWS.
* It is much harder to collaborate with others at work who are using MS Office.
* There are fewer blind folks who know how to use a Mac, and so can help you figure out a Mac.

There will be those who will pick at these pros and cons, just
remember that they are generally accurate.

So, the question is where do you want to spend your money and what are
you hoping to get for it.

So, the question becomes what are you hoping to do with your computer? If it's just playing music and surfing the net, why not consider an iPad?  If it's collaborate with coworkers then you probably ought to get what they get.  If you enjoy playing around with new technologies, then a Mac is a lot of fun to mess around with.

I hope I've given you enough to start with <grin>

Jim