[Electronics-talk] cable access

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun Jan 5 12:54:07 UTC 2014

By and large, the major cable operators don't give a rat's ass about their
blind customers.  Despite the new Telecommunications Access law, most of
them have no plans to introduce accessible set-top cable boxes anytime soon.
My cable provider, Time Warner, doesn't even know what I'm talking about
when I ask their customer service agents about accessible cable boxes.
Because they are monopolies in most markets, cable operators can pretty much
do anything they damn well please with complete impunity.  If I had my
druthers, I would cancel my cable service altogether and save $110 a month,
but then I would not be able to get TV reception at all because rooftop
antennas are not permitted in my apartment building, and decent reception
with an indoor antenna is impossible.  All thanks to the FCC's shortsighted
decision to transition from analog TV to digital TV in 2009 without
bothering to consider all the ramifications.

Gerald