[Electronics-talk] microwaves

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Mon Jan 6 12:59:52 UTC 2014

No, unfortunately, nobody seems to make a microwave with discreet keys or
buttons anymore.  Avanti used to make a small microwave that had mechanical
knobs to set the power level and cooking time, but it was discontinued last
year, although you may still be able to find one on EBay or other online
merchant.  So unless you opt for the $360 talking microwave avaiable from
Maxi-Aids and Blind Mice Mart, you will have to purchase a microwave with a
flat, membrane keypad.  You will need sighted help to place tactile markers
on the keys used most often, but once labled, it should be easy to use as
long as you stick to simple cooking and reheating tasks.  I recommend
looking for a model that has an express set feature that allows you to set
the cooking time in 30 or 60 second increments simply by pressing the start
key repeatedly.  This way, you don't have to grope all over the numeric
keypad to set the cooking time, which makes things a whole lot easier.  For
most cooking and reheating tasks, the power level can be left on the default
high setting, so all you have to do is press the start key a few times, and
the microwave will start cooking and shut off automatically with a series of
beeps when the cooking time has elapsed.

Gerald