[Electronics-talk] Pen Friend instructions

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Sat Jan 18 03:43:40 UTC 2014

Debra,

They are both about the same to use.  However, Touch memo has more volume
and that helps because I have poor hearing.  It also contains a rechargeable
battery while Pen Friend you need to replace the batteries.  Touch Memo,
when you reuse a label, makes a sound that tells you that there is something
already on the label, and if you continue to hold down record button, sound
changes and you record.  When you finish recording, Touch Memo repeats the
recording aloud, while pen friend you need to touch the tip to the label if
you want to check the recording.  Both gadgets store recordings on the unit
and one can use a USB cable and transfer recordings to your computer.  With
Touch Memo, you can replay all of what it contains without touching the
labels.  If you delete any message, it will also be gone from the
corresponding label.  I like the fact Touch memo came with three different
types of labels, but I really like the round ones covered with dots as they,
for me, are easier for me to spot in the freezer than the flat labels.  The
ones with dots have a hole at the end to allow you to apply an elastic band,
for example.  They do not stick to anything, but they give two flat labels
that peel off sheets and are stickable; one sheet is labels that can go
through the wash, and I did use them on a pair of slacks -- attached label
with safety pin and it was fine.

There are items I prefer Brailled, and so I think the pen friend, or the
touch memo are good, maybe quicker, options to use when I have sighted help.
Later I can always use Dymo tape and make my Braille label, just save the
others.

Sandy