[Electronics-talk] Recommendations for Accessible Apps

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Fri Jul 11 19:15:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

Regarding the first 3, there aren't any apps that I've tried that work very
well.  Digit-Eyes is ok.Since I am totally blind I like light detector for
various reasons to tell if lights are on, screens are glowing, etc.  Judging
by the demos, the KNFB Reader app which will be out around Septemgber 1 will
be an awesome OCR app.NFB Newsline, Dream Reader and Bookshare are all great
apps.  If you do recording, the Drop Vox app is cool since it is much easier
to get your recordings off the phone than the native recorder app in the
iPhone. I really like Access Note for writing.

The free money identifier app from the feds works really good and is free. I
see no reason to get 1 of those iBill devices they are handing out.  The
iPhone is an awesome money identifier.

If you like to cook, the iGrill app and bluetooth probe is really good.
This is available from Blind Bargains.com

Others may feel differently, but during the year or so that I have had the
iPhone, these are some of my favorites.  If you haven't read 1 yet, I
suggest 1 or more of the books from National Braille Press.  They are
available in Braille and in electronic formats as downloads.

Of course the BARD app for NLS books is superb.  This is the only way I now
read NLS books.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Fred