[Electronics-talk] Stand Alone GPS Units

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Thu Nov 20 06:09:23 UTC 2014

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any stand alone GPS units that are usable by a blind person? I am referring to commercial off the shelf units, not devices made specifically for the blind.

I have read that the Garmin Nuvi and Tom Tom Go units can be used via voice commands. Does anyone have any experience with these units and know whether they are actually usable? (or are there initial steps that must be taken that are not accessible, before a voice command can be given)

Also a different but related question...  can an iPod Touch use GPS if one purchases a GPS receiver to pair with it?

Thanks,
Sarah