[Electronics-talk] considering switching email providers

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 19:09:13 UTC 2014

What features bother you? Are you saying that deleting messages is more
arduous on Gmail then it is using Outlook? Does this mean you're using
the web interface for Gmail? If so, have you considered using a desktop
application for Gmail? I use Thunderbird on Windows and Linux. Windows
Live Mail is also an option. Of course, so it Outlook.

Just to clarify, are you looking for another email provider and want to
compare it's web interface to that of Gmail? You're using JAWS and
Windows, but what browser do you use? I've used Gmail web interface a
bit, and I find their mobile interface especially nice. Gmail's main web
interface isn't any better or worse than the others I've used, which
have mainly been from ISP's, like Road Runner. I've heard good things
about AOL's web interface to their email, and I think I read that Yahoo!
Mail's web interface was improved a bunch recently. BTW, have you tried
Gmail's simple interface? I hear that's supposed to be more accessible
and have less clutter.

On 11/29/2014 12:56 PM, Sandra Streeter via Electronics-talk wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> I have been a gmail user for probably 5 years now, and am finally
> bothered enough by some features to think about changing to a more
> screen-reader-friendly, free  service. Disgruntled by the fact that
> deleting is so arduous compared to my work Outlook setup, and there's
> a lot of screen clutter to navigate. Looking for advice about what
> would be simplest to use for JAWS, in terms of the availability of hot
> keys, lack of screen clutter, etc. Would love any comments, and/or
> extant reviews of various providers by screen reader users. Thanks!
>
> Sandra S.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail