[Electronics-talk] basic shortwave question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Oct 13 21:56:37 UTC 2014

In my experience, the direction that a window faces has little impact for short wave.  If it did, though, we would
need to know if you had an interest in a certain part of the world.  What I have found to be of greater importance
is the size of the window and the construction of your building.  If the building you live in is a wood frame
building such as a house, then your goal is to keep the wire as far as you can from devices that generate
interference, particularly computers.  If your building is constructed using materials that contain metal, then
you want to get your wire in a window, and a larger window will let more of the wire be where it can intercept
signals.

If your radio came with instructions to connect the wire to the telescoping antenna, then obviously follow the
instructions.  However, if the radio has a connection for an external antenna, sometimes you get better results
with that.  Some shortwave radios are made so that they have been optimized for a specific length of antenna, and
a longer antenna may increase signal strength but also increase certain kinds of interference.

To my way of thinking, short wave is not nearly as interesting as it used to be, but have fun.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
reception.