[Electronics-talk] Mobile hot spot question

George osocalmo at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Sep 15 22:46:11 UTC 2014

Yes, in Japan, some companies rent wifi devices, too, and when we don't know
we pay more.
If you have a cable connection you can connect a small wifi device to it for
free. I don't find any problem with that and I don't know, but I don't
think, that it might be illegal to do so in the U.S.
Check the contract with your provider, just in case, to be sure, but such a
restriction might be legally unacceptable and they have no way to control
it, I think.
There are many such devices made by several manufacturers available on the
market.
They might be called "wireless LAN router". Be careful because there are two
types: one type that connects to the modem and another type to be able to
use wi-fi with your pc in case your pc doesn't have wi-fi connectivity
(something like a codeless phone for the main unit). The main unit connects
to the modem and the other unit to some port of your pc (if you need this
other unit), because, as long as your devices have Wi-fi connectivity (like
the iPhone), you just need the main unit.
Check out that you are buying the main unit, because the other unit seems to
be much cheaper, but it won't connect to the modem.
I bought a device made by Planex and sold by Amazon in Japan (a model
exclusively sold by Amazon Japan) for about USD40 and I use it everyday; it
works wonderfully.
Another thing you should check is how many devices can be connected to it at
the same time.  The device I bought allows for 4 connections, I think. We
tested it: my daughter watched Youtube and my wife and I listened to some
radio programs on the internet at the same time without any problem.  We
were connected to the fast connection, because it has a fast connection (5)
and a slow one (2.4). It's illegal to use the fast connection outside the
house here.

Try to learn about all these things before buying a wifi device (wireless
router) to buy the best one that suits your needs and get the most of it.

HTH
George