[Electronics-talk] Hi efficiency washer and dryer

Craig Werner craig_werner at verizon.net
Mon Sep 22 13:18:21 UTC 2014

Hello, Amber and all on the list.

I wish I could recommend a model or group of models, but at least I can
alert you to a pitfall to avoid.  Our appliances, made by Samsung,
feature knobs with easily-sensed clicks and audible tones when changing
washer and dryer settings, which is obviously a good thing.  Trouble is
that the knobs have no positive stops, which means that the user can
cycle through all the options without knowing when she or he has
traveled through the entire list.  To further complicate matters, if an
adjustment to a setting is made, this becomes the new default; that is,
the next time the appliance is turned on, it doesn't go back to a
logical setting such as "normal load, normal temperature," but remembers
the last set of adjustments the user has made.  If the user has
forgotten the last tweaks to the unit, one is hopelessly lost in a
jungle of settings that cannot be navigated without sighted help.

Craig