[Electronics-talk] Accessible Microwave?

Allison Depner alley.cat.77 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:00:18 UTC 2015

Hi James,
Thanks for your help.
How big is the microwave you have?

Alley

-----Original Message-----
From: Electronics-talk [mailto:electronics-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of James Aldrich via Electronics-talk
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 10:51 AM
To: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
Cc: James Aldrich
Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] Accessible Microwave?

Hi again all,

The facts remain, my wife and I have the magic sheff talking oven!  My wife
is diabetic and she sometimes has problems reading braille.  This oven is
very ruggedly  built!  It has a thousand watts of power! If our washer and
dryer could talk as well as the Magic Sheff Talking Microwave Oven,  we'd
really be happy!  I highly recommend this oven especially if u don't wish to
fiddle with labels on touch sscreens  u can't see or read.  This is up to u.
I also have the narrator which is another of Gerald's favorite products ha!

Jim

Sent from my iPad

<electronics-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Absolutely incorrect on multiple points but not worth debating with
someone who's mind is already so fixed. I will say though that it's a lot
easier to tear something down from the outside then it is to help change
things for the better from within.

> Ironic that a service provided by one of these organizations is being used
by someone to spread such an inaccurate and negative opinion.

>> On 08/30/2015 10:55 AM, Gerald Levy via Electronics-talk wrote:
>>
>> Not a chance.  I, like most other blind people in this country shun
>> these organizations because they are constantly embroiled in internal
>> politics to the detriment of their members and promote self-serving
>> agendas that do not always have the bests interests of the blind at
heart.

>> Gerald
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Mike Freeman via Electronics-talk
>> Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:10 AM
>> To: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
>> Cc: Mike Freeman
>> Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] Accessible Microwave?
>>
>> Do *you* belong to either organization to make your voice heard?
>>
>> Mike Freeman
>>

>>> On Aug 30, 2015, at 03:55, Gerald Levy via Electronics-talk
>>> <electronics-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> This is all well and good, but the Magic Chef talking microwave
>>> costs about $400, which is outrageously overpriced for a unit of its
>>> capacity. Unfortunately, this is currently the only talking
>>> microwave on the market, and I am not aware of any conventional
>>> models that have tactile keypads. Which means that any blind
>>> consumer in the market for a new microwave will probably need
>>> sighted assistance to label the flat membrane touchpad with tactile
>>> markers on some of the keys.  This state of affairs has come about
>>> because the so-called blindness advocacy organizations have done
>>> little to nothing to pressure appliance manufacturers to make their
products universally accessible.

>>> Gerald
>>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: James Aldrich via Electronics-talk
>>> Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2015 9:32 PM
>>> To: Discussion of accessible electronics and appliances
>>> Cc: James Aldrich
>>> Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] Accessible Microwave?
>>>
>>> My wife and I have the magic sheff talking microwave oven! It is
>>> built well and is very dependable!
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> for