[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] Color Identification Technology

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Fri Dec 18 16:37:14 UTC 2015

In 2000 I purchased the Colortest 150 which was marketed by APH. At that
time it was the only product available. It was expensive, about $600.
Actually, this device performs several functions related to color and
light, and is not just a simple color identifier. My experience is that
it is accurate, even though at times my wife disagreed with its
rendering. This usually happened with an article of clothing that the
unit said was a very dark blue, but it looked black to my wife. It is
true that human perception of color can vary depending on lighting, etc.
The unit uses a very bright high intensity light. You place the unit
right up in physical contact with the item that you want to text. In
real life, we do not live in a world of bright light, so our perception
of color will vary. When my wife placed the garment under a high
intensity reading lamp that she had, she finally agreed that the garment
was indeed a very dark blue.

The Colortest will speak shadings in addition to a simple blue, red,
etc. It will also give a reading for hue and intensity of the color. It
can also give you a reading in terms of wave length. A chart in print
and Braille is included, giving you the scale to use if you want to use
this reading. The device has a kind of panning mode where it emits a
tone that rises and falls as you move the device over a surface,
allowing you to detect changes in color that might denote a pattern on
the garment. It also serves as a simple light detector. So this device
will render a lot of info, perhaps more than you want to know, but it
will serve you well if you want to spend that amount of money. The
device has undergone changes since I bought mine, and will detect even
more colors and shades, and the price has risen accordingly. Since I
bought mine, other cheaper devices have come on the market, but I have
not tested them. Also, there are color detection apps for smart phones,
but I think that these serve more as a source of entertainment than a
useful service. Hopefully you will get feedback about the other devices
available, but I would advise that you stick with a dedicated device as
opposed to the smart phone apps.

Andy