[Electronics-Talk] fopydo.com scanner stand for the blind

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Tue Dec 29 14:29:13 UTC 2015

I got help assembling my stand last night and I think this is a good
concept.  The instructions probably could have been written better since
it took a while to figure out how to assemble.  I don't know if I have a
2nd generation stand or a 1st generation stand; mostly made of durable
cardboard with a little metal, plastic and microtape.  It comes packaged
flat and is opened by slipping a tab out of a hole in the cardboard sheet.
The microtape is sticky to the touch and where that is will end up being
the scanning shelf for the camera and will hold the camera.  There are
perforations in the cardboard for bending points to assemble the stand
these are hinges not tear points.  The metal in the stand is actually two
legs that fold out 90 degrees from the edge of the stand and that is how
the stand gets and remains upright since the legs and edge of the stand
serve as the base that is placed on a flat surface.  So when assembled,
the legs and edge of the stand are on a table, a foot high piece of
cardboard goes vertical off the table top from the base up to the scanning
shelf with microtape facing up.  The perforation at the front end of the
shelf once bent down has a semicircle in it.  The piece of cardboard that
got bent down from the perforation on the front of the scanning shelf has
a tab on it and that tab goes back into the hole in the foot high vertical
cardboard.  When that happens the scanning shelf has a vertical triangular
shape and is stable.  To use the stand, devices get removed from
protective cases since microtape at least in my experience does not stick
to an Otter Defender case and the device is placed so the back camera
about a half inch in diameter is lined up with that semicircle and the
camera lens is a half inch forward of the semicircle.  Then put document
for scanning or book on table so camera can see it from a foot above and
start using the scanning software in your devices.  These stands can be
returned to the packaged unassembled state to take places and are light
weight too.