[Electronics-talk] Electronics-talk traffic signal app

Sarah Clark sarah at sarahaclark.com
Mon Jun 29 01:53:21 UTC 2015

I am reading a lot of judgmental posts on this topic. It isn't always as
simple as listening to traffic patterns.  Besides the so called "silent
cars" that are becoming more and more prevalent, in Beverly Hills where I
live we have quite a number of intersections where there is a 4 way walk
signal -- meaning that it is time to walk when all is quiet. (also allowing
for diagonal crossings, which I never do). Some of these intersections
involve 1 or more streets that are not especially busy, so you have no way
of knowing if it is quiet because it is time to cross or because there are
simply no cars coming through at the moment. Crossing some of these
intersections nearly every day I have learned to judge them based on pattern
of the cycle at that specific intersection (the patterns vary from one
intersection to another), but depending on the time of day and how heavy the
traffic is, this is not fool proof and I sometimes judge wrong. And someone
unfamiliar with the intersections who needed to cross at off-peak times
would find themselves in a literal guessing game. I've found having a guide
dog invaluable when crossing these intersections, because in the event that
my timing was off and a car didn't give me the right of way once I started
crossing (which they are legally required to do), the dog would see the car
coming and handle the situation accordingly.

Sarah