[Electronics-talk] [EXTERNAL] Re: Electronics-talk traffic signal app

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Mon Jun 29 19:51:58 UTC 2015

I feel that if accessible traffic signals are to be deployed, that they
should be deployed wherever there is a traffic light. I feel that this
is the only fair solution, and is born out by the discussion that we
have been having. We have seen that there is a wide range when it comes
to the abilities of blind persons in this arena. What is not a problem
to some is a major problem to someone else. If you only deploy
accessible signals at certain intersections, what cryteria do you use to
determine whether or not a given intersection rates an accessible
signal? As someone said, an intersection with little traffic can be as
problematic as an intersection with heavy traffic. T intersections pose
major problems because of the lack of parallel traffic. Also, an
intersection where one street has heavy traffic, and the intersecting
street has little traffic can be problematic. And the one place where
there should always be an accessible signal is at a round about.

Andy