[Electronics-talk] threaded email client?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 02:34:04 UTC 2015

What platform are you talking about, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS, ...?

The Mail app on IOS is a threaded client that works well with VoiceOver.
It'll just list the threads and if you double tap on a thread then you
get the list of messages in that thread. You can work with the
individual messages or the entire thread, so therefore, you can just
delete the whole thread without reading any of the messages in the
thread. It's also nice because you have all of the messages on the same
topic all listed together. It makes processing your email a lot quicker.
You can also turn on the Unread mail box in the IOS Mail app and then
you will just see your unread messages.

I use Thunderbird on Windows with NVDA or Linux with Orca, and it has a
nice threaded implementation. You just arrow up and down through your
threads and the right arrow will expand the thread and the left arrow
will collapse it. Again, you can work with the whole thread or just
individual messages. It's also nice because it keeps all messages in a
single thread together. Thunderbird also has an unread view if you just
want to see your unread messages.

I haven't gotten the hang of threaded messages in Outlook with JAWS. I
could be missing something, but it just doesn't seem as intuitive as
Thunderbird, the IOS Mail app, or even Lotus Notes and JAWS.

Type Mail on Android is another good threaded email client option. It
reminds me a bit of the Mail app on IOS, but I find it a bit easier to
work with the whole thread.

On 10/02/2015 08:16 PM, Sandra Streeter via Electronics-talk wrote:
> What is a threaded email client/ I’ve long had the complaint of having to skim past posts within an email that I have already read, to ones I haven’t. If this remedies that frustration, I’d love to hear more! Thanks!
>

> Sandra
> “To love another person is to see the face of God.”
> (Les Miserables--the musical)

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail