[Electronics-Talk] Spinal Cord Stimulators

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 1 22:55:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

Today when I was at physical therapy, I asked to look at the Tins unit they
were using on me.  Neither myself nor my therapist could come up with a
reason why someone who is blind could not independently use the unit.

The control unit is about the size of a deck of cards.  There are multiple
ports where the 4 wire leads get plugged into the control unit.  At the end
of each wire a reusable sticky pad gets attached.  To preserve the sticky
pads when you are done using the device, you stick the pads back on the
sheet they were peeled off of.  There are 2 knobs that control how much stim
you receive.  Each knob controls a pair of wire leads.  When you first turn
a knob on or off, you feel and hear a click.  As you continue to rotate the
knob you will feel the intensity of the stim increasing where the sticky
pads are placed on your body.  There are numbers associated with the
rotation of the knobs, but it is not important to see them as you can feel
the changes of the stim intensity.

The only thing you might have trouble with has nothing to do with sight.  If
you are using the stim on your back, you might find it difficult to put the
pads on your own back.

HTH,
Annette