[Electronics-Talk] Android-based braille notetakers

Brad Hodges brad.hodges at outlook.com
Tue Apr 5 13:02:13 UTC 2016

Tracy:

While I was not at CSUN, I have had an opportunity to follow the arrival
of Android-based notetakers. In addition to the 2 you mention, the Apex
Touch, from Humanware is also available. Of the 3, I would say that the
Touch is the most available for immediate purchase.

That having been said, in my opinion there are some very important
considerations created by the switch to the Android operating system for
our notetaker technology. Your questions illuminate several of these. I
also believe there is more that we don't know yet which we should know
in order to evaluate Android as a notetaker operating system.

Rather than relating my understanding of the 2 you mention, and relate
my very brief experience with the Touch, last week-end, I would
encourage you to formulate a comprehensive set of evaluation criteria to
use as you have the opportunity to audition each of the 3 candidates.
Additionally, don't discount Freedom Scientific's L-Braille, which is
based on Windows 10 and integrates one of the companies existing braille
displays with a module containing the processor.

I strongly suggest that those interested in a new notetaker hold off
until the candidates have made their actual arrival and are ready for
purchase.

This question might also be something which we may want to address at
Convention. Perhaps a panel organized by one of our De visions.

Here are a few of the questions which come to my mind so far.

Since they are using an operating system which is intended to support a
mobile device does the notetaker include the ability to use cellular
data? Will it support phone calls? How important is this to you?

Which is more important, the availability of phone-like connectivity and
other exclusive features provided by Android, or an updated experience
with a familiar menu structure and existing  set of features?

We are accustom to a very fast and responsive interface on legacy
devices, is the notetaker equally as responsive?

How quickly can the notetaker be activated for immediate input, such as
capturing a note or appointment? Is there both a sleep mode and power
down mode? If so what is the difference?

Is the interface logical and easy to follow?

Since this is an Android device, what is the relationship between the
interface and apps provided by the manufacturer and those apps available
through the Play Store?

Can Talkback, the Android screen reader be used? If so how does that
experience contrast with built in menus etc?

How does the notetaker feel while in use? Is the form factor convenient?
Are keys convenient and responsive? If a touch screen is used how do
your hands feel after an extended period of use?

How do the braille cells feel? Do they meet your expectations if you are
experienced with notetaker or refreshable braille?

  How important is the ability of the notetaker to become part of your
personal echo system, allowing contacts, calendars, documents and such
to be shared across all your devices and phone? Does the notetaker
facilitate this if it is of importance?

At the time of product announcements, in mid-March, 3 different versions
of Android were used, 1 each on the 3 devices. What is the significance,
if any, of the version of Android used in the notetaker when purchased?
What is the impact of update availability, and who controls update releases?

Those are just a few quick thoughts which have been running around in my
mind. I hope that they may be of some use. It has been my experience
that careful planning and a consistent record of your experience can
help you make a choice with which you will be very pleased.

Brad