[Electronics-Talk] Braille notetaker

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Apr 14 12:58:15 UTC 2016

Thanks to all for ideas on a new braille notetaker.  I bought the Baum Vario
Ultra20, and it came yesterday.

It’s tiny!  In its case, it looks very like a woman’s clutch purse.  It
weighs ½ pound, and has 20 braille cells.  It looks very well-made, with
excellent braille quality.  The keys feel good to use, too.

It can create or read txt, brf, or rtf files, and read Word, PDF, and Excel
files.  It can serve as a braille display for a PC or a smart phone.  Later
today, I’ll experiment with connecting it with my iPhone.

It doesn’t sing, dance, or play music.  It doesn’t connect to the Internet,
but it easily connects to devices that do, which is fine for me.

It cost $2395.

Tracy