[Electronics-Talk] Touch Screen Appliances and Glass top Stoves

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Aug 27 02:25:39 UTC 2016

Nicole,

When looking at stoves, be sure that what appears to be a touch screen
really is.  It is still common for flat screens to still have
pressure-operated switches beneath the membrane.  You are likely familiar
with this but others may not be.  In those cases, it is still possible to
label the controls.

Flat glass surfaces are not nearly as big a problem as one would think.  We
were a little uneasy when we bought a stove with that kind of surface, but
one can really learn to work with it pretty well.  When one turns on a
burner, it does not take long before you can find the burner by simply
moving your hand around a few inches above the surface.  The heat that is
radiated from the burner is pretty easy to locate.  If a pan is on the
burner, it is easier than you might think to move your hane around the edge
of the pan, a few inches above, and feel for heat rising from the burner
because that part of the burner is not covered.  I'm not much of a cook, but
even I can do it.  <smile>  All in all, the glass top is much less of a
problem than finding controls that one can operate.  Both are still
possible, though.

Best regards,

Steve