[Electronics-Talk] [EXTERNAL] Re: Writing checks fromthecomputer

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 5 19:25:35 UTC 2016

Hi Vince:

Yes, they can still be serviced.  There is a wonderful man, Richard Oehm
from Oehm Electronics in San Jose California, who repairs the optacon.  I
still use my optacon several times a day.  I read all kinds of stuff with
it.  The most valuable item is being able to read the labels and then put
Braille on all my medications.  Now, I know most of you cannot do this with
a scanner unless you somehow manage to peel the label off the pill bottle
first so it can lay flat on the scanner.    I do wish I had the typewriter
lens attachment for the optacon so I could type my own checks.  The other
thing I love about the optacon is how portable it is.  It is getting better
with the KNFB reader with the mobile phones but, I think there is no
substitute for the optacon and I wish they had never stopped manufacturing
it.  .

Sandra Johnson