[Electronics-Talk] Appliance accessibility - Echo & Mobile devices

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Mon Feb 15 15:07:04 UTC 2016

No, mobile devices do not offer an acceptable means of making appliances
more accessible because the overwhelming, I repeat, overwhelming majority of
blind consumers do not own such devices.  Accessibility must be built into
the appliance itself.  No blind consumer should be required to spend
hundreds of dollars for a mobile device that requires cockamamie hand
gestures to navigate a touchscreen just to gain the ability to access the
various features on a particular kitchen appliance.  This is ridiculous.
Indeed, many blind consumers, especially seniors, lack the manual desterity
to use such devices in the first place. Should they be denied the ability to
operate their appliances because of their age, physical limitations  or lack
of technical savvy?  I think not.

erald