[Electronics-Talk] accurate talking scale?

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Tue Jul 26 20:19:15 UTC 2016

I just purchased a Newline SCB105 talking bathroom scale from Amazon.com for
under $25 to replace my Phoenix by My Weigh talking scale, which gave up the
ghost after only four years of infrequent use.  The Phoenix scale was
extremely accurate and had good speech quality, but even though it was still
covered by a 30 year limited warranty, it would have cost more to send it
back to My Weigh for replacement than to buy a new one.  So after extensive
research, I settled on the Newline scale.  It has excellent speech quality.
The voice prompts and weight announcement are spoken in a loud and clear
female voice.  You simply tap the tempered glass platform, and the scale
prompts you to step on.  In a few seconds your weight is announced digit by
digit in either pounds or kilograms, and when you step off, a beep confirms
that it is shutting off.  I was able to verify its accuracy by weighing a 20
pound dumbbell.  The scale announced its weight as 20.1 pounds, and my
actual weight is within 1.5 pounds of the weight my doctor measured on the
mechanical balance scale in his office.  Another plus is that the Newline
scale operates on two inexpensive, easily replaceable AAA batteries.  The
Newline scale is sold by Independent Living Aids for $50 as the Moshi
Talking Scale, but why pay this outrageous price when you can buy it from
Amazon.com for half that amount?  If you want to hear a demonstration of
this scale and read the instructions,visit the ILA site and type "moshi
talking scale" into the search edit field.  Otherwise, you can purchase it
as the Newline SCB105 talking scale from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/NewlineNY-Newline-SCB-Bathroom-Capacity/dp/B001TWE1DA

Gerald