[Electronics-Talk] home phone on cell signal

Chip Orange Corange at PSC.STATE.FL.US
Tue Mar 22 20:13:04 UTC 2016

I have nothing against those VOIP services, or against cell phones, but I have worked for years at a state agency which regulates telecom here in Florida, and I just want to remind anyone considering giving up your landline how much extra reliability and security your landline gives you.

In Florida, and most states are like this I believe, landline services are required to function at all times.  This means if the power has been out for a week due to hostile weather, your landline should still be working.  Those companies have massive battery backups, and they'll run generator trucks if their batteries don't make it.  There is no such requirement at all for cell service, and one cell service maintenance man told me most towers will only run for an average of 4 hours without power before they quit.  Then there's your own cell battery; how long will you be using it without a charge?  The same is true if you decide to use VOIP instead of cell or landline, no power means no service, and no legal requirement for them to get it working any time soon.

Then there's the feature of 9-1-1 always being reachable, and always knowing where you are.  This is often not true with cell service, and less so with VOIP.

If the cost is mentioned, and if you're near the poverty level, almost all states have a heavily subsidized price for landline service for those who financially qualify.

I can't think of a reason why I'd give up such a key safety system, especially being blind.

Chip

Chip Orange
Florida Public Service Commission
Computer Systems Analyst