[Electronics-Talk] My Microwave Shopping Experience

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Nov 5 19:14:08 UTC 2016

Well, for your information, the conventional Magic Chef microwave that I
purchased at Home Depot for $59.88 is made by the same company that makes
the $370talking model, and so it most likely shares some of the same
components and may even be manufactured in the same Chinese factory.  So
just because the talking model costs six times as much as the comparable
conventional model does not necessarily mean that it will ultimately prove
to be more reliable or last longer.    If you shell out $370 for the talking
model and it bites the dust, you're totally screwed, even if it's still
covered by the warranty.  That's because in order to get warranty repair,
you have to carry the unit into an authorized repair shop.  Good luck
finding one nearby.  This means that you will need someone to drive you
there to drop it off and again to pick it up once it's fixed.  At least if
my cheapo microwave dies prematurely, I haven't thrown out a lot of money,
and I can just buy another one, which would ultimately be less expensive and
more hassle-free than having it fixed.

Gerald