[Electronics-Talk] Accessible Microwaves Are Becoming a Thing of the Past

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Oct 15 01:24:48 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone,

Last weekend our 11 year old Over the range microwave stopped working.  I
knew the search for a new one would not be easy, but I was not prepared for
what I am finding.  My first disappointment was that there are no
microwave-convection combination units for over the range that are
accessible.  They either use a heat sensitive touch panel or a knob that
displays its results in a digital display.  So I re-grouped and figured I
would have to stick with just an over the range  microwave.  I have called
GE, Whirlpool/Kitchen Aid, and LG.  None of their phone reps can direct me
to a model that is accessible.  They recommended that I visit my local
stores and try out the various models in the stores.

We have visited Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, H H Greg and Best Buy.  None of
these stores have electricity connected to the microwaves so it is not
possible to test them.  None of the sales reps in the store know anything
more than what is written on the display paper work.

The online research that we have done makes reference to the control panels
of today being heat sensitive, feather-touch sensitive, Smart touch, etc.
When we look at the control panels in the store they feel like flat glass.
I've been to people's houses who have newer appliances and if you accidently
touch the panel you can change all types of settings.

I am finding this very disturbing that manufacturers have been allowed to
get to the point of producing complete lines of appliances that cannot be
operated by a person who is blind.  Eleven years ago when we purchased the
current appliances in our kitchen there were limited options.  Last April
when I purchased a replacement dishwasher we ended up purchasing one I can
start, but have no way to confirm what it is set on.  Now we cannot find a
replacement microwave.  While at the stores, upon a quick look around we did
not see a gas range with an accessible  oven control.  They all looked
exactly like the ones we were seeing on the microwaves.  Now remember, We
had not done any research on these products, and there is no power connected
to the ranges.  So we cannot be sure about what we were looking at.
However, if the state of microwaves is any indication of where manufacturers
are going with their control panels, we are in serious trouble.  The bottom
line is something has to be done before we lose our independence in the
kitchen.  Well, I guess if you can live on cold cereal and sandwiches, you
will be fine.

Please do not provide me with makes and models of counter top microwaves
that you have found accessible.  I have no choice but to purchase an over
the range microwave even if it is not accessible.  This appliance
incorporates the exhaust fan for the stove.  In addition, we have no
available counter space for a microwave.  If you have purchased an over the
range microwave within the past year that you have found the control panel
to be accessible after adding your own labels/marks, please provide me with
the make and model, as there is a slight chance that I might still be able
to find it.

What I want is to find a way to make these manufacturers understand the
importance of universal design.  They need to stop producing products that
cannot be controlled by the blind.

Annette