[Electronics-Talk] Accessible Micro Waves, the Battle is Lost

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 00:20:26 UTC 2016

I have no problem adding my own braille labels or other markings to
appliances.  I have been doing that for years.  The problem is that there
are no over the range microwaves with a control panel that requires pressure
to activate the buttons.  The slightest touch or brush of a fingertip will
activate the buttons.  There does not appear to be enough space around the
buttons to place a label or mark so that you can get a general idea of where
to touch.  Some don't even beep when you touch them and do not appear to
have a way to turn an audible indicator on.  If a model does exist out there
that can somehow be modified, there is no way to figure this out because
none of the stores have electric connected to the units.

It appears that the touch panel on ovens is going in this same direction, as
is the controls on refrigerators for dispensing water and ice, as well as
controlling the temperature inside the appliance.  Many counter top
microwave models also have this very sensitive type of control panel.  If
you go to the GE Accessibility webpage you will see that ADA accessibility
only applies to physical access.  Matter of fact, GE no longer provides
braille overlays.

Has anyone taken a look at crock pots and slow cookers lately?  It is very
difficult to find one that can be operated if you cannot see the screen or
indicator lights.  The InstaPot hold promise, but I want to see one before I
purchase it.  It is really sad that in this day we are limited to one option
if that, and have to go out of our way to find that one option if it exists.

Annette