[Electronics-Talk] GE Braille Labels, An Update

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Thu Oct 27 21:45:55 UTC 2016

I can use my new stove because of a couple things.  The burners have knobs, it is electric, although this isn't the point of this message. Secondly the oven is controlled by a flat panel, but luckily the panel is not touch sensitive, you have to actually press on the right spots, so I was able to make Braille markers.  Finally, the oven defaults to a known state, that is it starts at a known temperature, 350 degrees, and I can go up and down in 5 degree increments. If I turn the oven off, and back on again, it will return to 350 degrees.  Finally, each time I press a control, up down, on off, broil, bake, clean, it beeps.

The other thing I want to say, which I think hasn't been said yet is that you may be able to find the manual for a given appliance, somewhere on-line, thus you can read and possibly get the answer to these questions, without actually trying the device.

It is tricky out there -- and we seem to have fewer and fewer options, but at least there are still some.  My stove, by the way, was a less expensive stove, the more expensive units seemed to be more problematic!

Dave

David Andrews | Chief Technology Officer
Department of Employment and Economic Development
State Services for the Blind, 2200 University Ave. W., Suite 240, St. Paul MN 55114
Direct: 651-539-2294 | Mobile: 612-730-7931
Web | Twitter | Facebook