[Electronics-Talk] Does where we shop impact accessibility of appliances?

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Oct 30 18:15:27 UTC 2016

There is one other variable, which I don't think
anyone has mentioned yet.  It can be good, or bad, or both.

We are seeing more and more devices that are
controllable by smart phone apps, either iOS or
Android.  The problems are, you have to have a
device that will run the right software, and that
software must, itself, be accessible. Given both
of these things, it offers another approach to accessibility.

Back in the early to mid 90's, at one of the
U.S./Canada joint conferences on technology, I
wrote and presented a paper calling on industry
to develop standards for operating a device, and
development of a universal remote
controller.  With phones, and various home
automation standards, we have pieces of this, and
hopefully we can take it further, and make it work for us.
\
Dave