[Electronics-Talk] Mini guide

Mark McCracken markmccracken at cox.net
Mon Apr 24 19:48:40 UTC 2017

Hi Tracy,

I was recently without a Guide Dog for more than a year, and during that
time I covered a lot of ground with a cane.  I got a buzz clip as soon as it
came available.  The best feature of the buzz clip is that it is hands free.
In my neighborhood, for some reason, people often park their cars and trucks
across the sidewalk.  The end of my cane would go under a truck, and by the
time I realized that there was an obstruction I would smack into it.  The
buzz clip, of course, warned me about the obstruction.  It also detected low
tree branches and the like.  I wish that the buzz clip would vibrate with a
little more force so that it would really grab my attention.

The advantage of the mini guide is that, once it detects an obstruction, one
can easily wave the guide back and forth or up and down to get a better idea
of what is there.  I didn't like holding the mini guide all of the time
because, when used with a cane, both hands were occupied.

The mini guide is still helpful when, for example, going to the strip mall.
It helps me determine whether my Guide Dog is still working between cars in
the parking lot or is nearly up to the row of businesses.  Other than that,
I don't use either device when working my Guide Dog; he can do his job
better if I just trust him and don't second guess him.

It would be an improvement, from my point of view, if the buzz clip and the
mini guide both had a little more range.

Yours,

Mark