[Electronics-Talk] All About Braille Displays

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 26 16:06:42 UTC 2017

I have heard very good things about the Baum product.  At work I have a
Perkins Mini.  It is not bad for the money, and might be a good first time
device.  It can be a bit quirky at times, but in my opinion all braille
displays have their own personality.

If you are not in a rush, you might want to look into the NFB Orbit Reader
braille display.  It was supposed to be ready for distribution in December
or January, but they appear to be running behind schedule.  I did get to see
one of the prototypes and was very impressed with the quality of the
braille.  They are saying that the cost will be under $500 for 20 braille
cells.  They are saying that you will be able to load books and other
documents onto some type of memory device and read them without being
connected to your computer or smart phone.  I believe that you will also be
able to use it as a braille display for your computer and smart phone.

HTH,
Annette