[Electronics-Talk] All About Braille Displays

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 27 01:59:32 UTC 2017

Danielle,
There is a big difference between a full notetaker and braille display.
Generally braille displays are smaller and just show you braille output
either attached to a device or as a stand alone thing using a sd card with
some notetaking ability.
Braille displays mainly just show you a line of text but most now a days let
you do some limited notetaking.
Braille displays may also have a clock, calculator and calendar. However the
notetakers do much more.
Notetakers will enable you to do word processing, use a calculator,
calendar, clock, GPS sometimes, email and some internet use. Also they have
a media player enabling you to play your media files such as MP3s.

If you have limited money, you will probably be able to only afford the
braille display. One is coming out just under 500 bucks, the Orbit.

You would love the braille note apex I'm sure which has a reduced price now;
I suspect they dropped the price to sell remaining inventory.
If you want the functions of a notetaker including the braille display part,
then you will like the apex.
The apex not only can be a braille display hooked to your computer, tablet,
or smart phone, but it can be a powerful word processor and media player.
So do you want that or a braille display?
You can also download and listen to books on the apex, something you cannot
do on the Braille Note empower. You can download digital talking books and
play them on the apex.

Yes they still support the empower to some extent. However, they will not
renew service contracts on them.
While its true you might have internet issues on the apex, the benefits may
outweigh the cons. Do you really need to surf the internet on it when you
indicated you mainly want a braille display?
You implied your needs are reading and writing content.
Keep in mind the Braille Note apex is a strong and powerful 32 cell braille
display. You will do so much with it. Do you have a smart phone, an ipad or
a nexis 7? Do you have a laptop you travel with and dreamed of hooking a
display to it? If you answered yes, you can do all those things with the
braille note apex and much more.
I'm going to take advantage of the sale.

HTH,
Ashley
If it meets your needs, who cares if its obselete.