[Electronics-Talk] Microwave Update

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 00:24:35 UTC 2017

I have no idea about the Bosch counter top models.  As far as the over the
range models, there was a model with more features than this one, and one
that did not have the convection feature.  If there were others, I am not
aware.

The control panel is like that of what we are used to.  It is flat and
smooth and requires pressure to be pressed on the buttons to activate them.
The panel is very spacious so there is quite a bit of space between the
buttons.

The thing that impressed me the most is how the menus are accessed.  For
example, the Sensor button has 2 options.  If you press it once, it sets to
reheat a plate of food.  If you press the same button a second time, it sets
the settings for reheating a casserole.  You can also accomplish setting the
casserole reheat by pressing the sensor button once and then pressing the
number 2 button.  This may not seem like much when there are only 2 options,
but when there are several, it is great in my opinion.  The beverage button
has 4 or 5 options, and the popcorn button has 3.  I still need to braille
up the code sheet and place it inside the door of the cabinet next to the
microwave.  The sighted members in the house just have to look at the cheat
sheet inside the door of the microwave.

One of my favorite features of this microwave is the keep warm feature.  As
food items are done cooking from the microwave, the stove top and/or the
oven, I can place them in the microwave and use the keep warm mode to keep
everything hot until everything is done or everyone is ready to sit down at
the table.  Of course all food does need to be in a microwave safe
container/serving dish.

Using the convection feature is having a larger learning curve than I
expected.  The French fries I made last night were the first thing to
actually cook correctly.  I've had to end up putting other things in the
traditional oven.  Not really sure what I had done wrong, but it seemed like
the food was not cooking.

The microwave comes with 2 metal racks.  Each has a specific use and are not
interchangeable.  For this reason my family feels that this makes the
microwave too difficult to use.  So the racks are never left in the
microwave and I make sure they are put away and that prevents everyone from
considering to use them.

There is a rectangular rack that sits in brackets on the side walls of the
inside of the microwave.  This rack is used when microwaving more items than
can fit on the turn table.  I can usually get 2 or 3 items on the rack and 1
item on the turn table.  If I turn the turntable off, I can fit 1 or 2 more
things under the rack.  I find this rack most useful when using the warm
feature.  I tried it for reheating multiple items at once and got mixed
results.  The more items you put in at once lengthens the time it takes to
heat them up.  If you are dealing with different types of food all in there
at once, there is even a greater discrepancy in doneness.  You do not have
to use this rack as there is a turn table just as you are probably used to.

The second rack is round and has 3 legs with a rubber cap on the bottom of
each leg.  This rack is always used when convection cooking.  The purpose is
to lift the item up so that the hot air can circulate around the pan.  You
have to preheat the convection oven before you put this rack and your food
in.  This is a bit of a pain since both the turn table and sides of the
microwave are hot from preheating.  This presents a bit of a challenge to
get the round rack fairly centered on the turntable, and then place the food
on top of the rack ensuring not to let the container touch the sides of the
microwave.  I turn off the turn table to prevent the pan from accidently
hitting the sides if I did not line things up properly.  Wearing oven mitts
work best when doing this.

HTH,

Annette