[Electronics-Talk] Comcast remote control warning

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon May 1 01:09:17 UTC 2017

Hello:

I hate the new X1 system.  I have had it three months and it is out more
than it is working.  Every time it goes out and they have to come out to fix
it you are charged for a service call.  I just called two days ago to cancel
all my services with Comcast.  Their phone an internet are much too
expensive and obviously their X1 system is not as good as they say it is and
it is also much too expensive.  My phone an internet are with a new company
so my email address will change this week.  My new price is less than half
what Comcast was charging me.  As or TV, I don't know what I am doing yet.
I am trying to find out if I can have a dish.  According to my original
lease from November 2011 the answer is no but I have heard that they changed
it so I have to find out.  I have also considered a digital antenna.
Anything
is better than being ripped off by the cable company.

The major frustration is that no matter what we use it is not accessible.  I
went to Wal-Mart and got two digital antennas.  I thought I could plug them
in and they would go out into the air and pick up the available free
channels.  That is not the case.  After calling Wal-Mart I found out that I
have to be able to read the menus on the TV sets and change some settings
and then push the button to scan for channels.  To make it more difficult my
TV sets are all from different manufacturers because they were purchased as
gifts to me when I move here so I did not get to insist that they be alike
and easy to figure out what button did what.  Well, I cannot see to do this
and I do not have sighted help so I am out of luck.  I miss the old
fashioned TV where you plugged it in and you got the local news and weather
without so much trouble  Are there any digital antennas,  cable boxes or TV
sets that we can operate without sight?  All this stuff might be neat for
the sighted public but it is a huge frustrating headache for the blind.  I
guess I will have to try and find some kind of handy helper that I cannot
afford to  hire to do the stuff I cannot see.  Okay, now I am done with my
ranting for the night.  Thanks for allowing me to vet.  My high blood
pressure and migraine headache might go away a bit now because I let off
some steam.  Have a great evening.

Sandra Johnson