[Electronics-Talk] I-phone audio ducking

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Tue May 30 04:27:08 UTC 2017

It's called "lower the volume of other programs" in JAWS. According to
the JAWS 18 What's New article, it says the following:

https://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/JAWS/JAWSWhatsNew

Lower the Audio from Other Programs While JAWS is Speaking

In Windows 8 and later, you can now specify that the volume of audio
from other programs be lowered while JAWS is speaking. This is commonly
known as audio ducking. For example, if you are listening to music or
playing a video and JAWS begins talking, the volume of the music or
video will be slightly lowered so you can comfortably hear JAWS and then
raised back to its current level when JAWS stops talking.

For JAWS users with a braille display, you can also choose to mute JAWS
speech (INSERT+SPACEBAR, S) while listening to audio from other programs
and still use JAWS with braille output only, without the audio from the
other programs being reduced.

By default, audio remains at the same volume as JAWS speech. To change
this, there are two ways. The easiest way is to open the Startup Wizard
from the JAWS Help menu and select the Lower the volume of other
programs while JAWS is speaking checkbox located on the Speech Settings
page.

Alternatively, you can change this option through Settings Center by
doing the following:

     Press INSERT+F2, and select Settings Center.
     Press CTRL+SHIFT+D to load the JAWS default settings.
     In the Search edit box, type "volume" without the quotes.
     Press DOWN ARROW to move to "Lower the volume of other programs
while JAWS is speaking" in the filtered search results in the tree view.
     Press SPACEBAR to toggle this option.

Finally, you can also press INSERT+SPACEBAR, followed by D to quickly
toggle this feature. If audio ducking is off by default, it will turn it
on, and if it is on by default, it will turn it off. The current setting
will remain in effect until you press the layered keystroke again, or
JAWS is restarted. The audio ducking toggle can also be located using
the Command Search feature (INSERT+SPACEBAR, J).

Note: Turning on JAWS audio ducking is most useful if both JAWS speech
and other program audio are coming through the same sound device. If you
use multiple sound devices, such as a USB headset and external speakers
connected to your computer's sound card, you can configure JAWS speech
to use the headset while other audio comes through the external speakers
which you can then control using the physical volume control. To
configure the sound card JAWS uses, from the JAWS application window,
open the Utilities menu, open the Sound Cards submenu, and then choose
the sound device you want to use for JAWS speech.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail