[Electronics-Talk] Printers

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 04:57:35 UTC 2017

Hi,

I did have an Epson Express 200 three in one but I found I did not like it.
It was usable by a blind person but it took the four ribbons not just one
black and another for colors.  When you order them from their website you
have to find a sighted person to read the box so  you can put the right
color in the correct slot.  Their ink runs out very fast and is very
expensive.  I also found it impossible to update software because the update
program did not work well with Jaws or NVDA.

Last winter my nephew gave me a Canon printer.  He said it worked fine but
he wanted a more modern sleek smaller model.  So far it has worked well with
NVDA and Jaws.  It takes one black cartridge on the left  and one color
cartridge on the right .  I have used it since last winter and have not had
to replace the ink.  I am not sure how long my nephew used it before he gave
it to me.  It is a three in one print/copy/scan.  It will print regular
printed documents as well as photos.  It is not a touch screen but has nice
big buttons you can feel and room enough to put Braille labels on if you
want to do this.  When you make copies it does have a print menu to select
the number of copies but since I cannot do this I just copy one at a time.
I have tried a few times to just press the button for number of copies and
if I am lucky it works out alright.  I was able to install it without
sighted help.  I used the on screen commands as Jaws read them out to me.  I
then was able to access the online manual to read about the display buttons
and how to operate the printer.  The online manual says it is for the Canon
MP 250/MP270 models.  When you want to print you can select the type of
paper such as document 8.5 by 11, envelopes labels or photos.  I think you
can enter other sizes as well.  I have printed a few envelopes without any
problems.  I do not know if this model is still available.  My sister said
they got it from Wal-Mart.  I hope this helps.

Sandra Johnson
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net