[Electronics-Talk] likes and dislikes of my Keurig

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:00:11 UTC 2018

I bought mine at a reduced price from one of the home-shopping channels, almost 3 years ago, and it’s going great! So:

----Likes:

Faster brewing than the little drip makers (which I still have one of in case it dies and I can’t get another right away for whatever reason, or if they’ve stopped making accessible models)
;
Accessible, with a little orientation and training from a sighted pal; just 2 squarish buttons, the one on the bottom being “on” and the upper, “brew”; you can brew up to 16 oz. at a shot, I think—I have a couple mugs that hold like 2 cups, and often use them;
If I want something really exotic, I can buy the K-cups; if more run-of-the-mill, I can buy a pkg of ground, and scoop a little into my personal K-cup, which I can line with little paper liners or not; most of the time, I buy ground, which saves on wasted plastic, and on the expense of the K-cups.

You can even make iced tea with a Keurig; often, I’ll use an iced tea mix plus some ice cubes in the mug, and just run the hot water. You could also make cocoa or soup using the machine—I like those soups in big paper cups that you pour hot water over, and I find that heating the water in the Keurig and having it discharge over the soup is faster than microwave-heating.

----Dislikes, though certainly not deal-breakers:

Doesn’t do a strong black tea, because it is, by definition, quick-brewing; if I want a strong tea, I’d have to go with the teas available as K-cups; so, most of the time, I nuke my teas, because I do like very strong tea;

If you want your coffee to be as strong as from a dripper, you’d probably want to go with dark-roast or espresso, if using the Personal K-cup, so that the fast brewing doesn’t take away from the strength. So, I have some Dunkin’ Donuts Pumpkin for when I don’t want terribly strong, and some dark-roast with cinnamon; plus, for when I really, really need strength, I go with espresso.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

---