[Electronics-Talk] How many accessible pedestrian signals do you have in your city?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 10 13:29:05 UTC 2018

Hi Jim.
I also live on a quieter street that crosses a very busy one, and I had the
exact problem you describe--figuring out a lull in traffic from when I had
the light.  It's also an offset intersection, with a lot of turning traffic.
As I said, I had to fight hard to get an APS there, but, every time I was
thinking of giving up, I'd misjudge the light, and I'd grit my teeth and go
back to the battle.  I should not have to risk my life, literally, to cross
the street.  Well, no more than anyone else does. To heck with what it cost
the county.  I pay taxes, and my life has value in itself.

I have been wondering for years if it would be practical to develop a smart
phone app that would say when the walk sign was on.  It would have to be
absolutely real-time, and reliable.  But, if it could be done, it ought to
be a lot cheaper than APS's are now. And maybe there's a way to make it work
with any traffic light one encounters.  Do you think such a thing could
work?
Tracy