[Electronics-Talk] Warning the new Sonos with Alexa has touch pad!

Christopher Gilland clgilland07 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 01:30:50 UTC 2018

OK, so, a few things here:

1. The touchpad: This is really like neither a phone, nor a microwave. I
say this in that it's not an actual screen, but it doesn't take any
pushing pressure either to get the buttons to work. What I have done is
this. The buttons are not completely flushed with the front grill of the
speaker. They're alined along the top of the unit. With the Sonos Beam,
this is probably the most tricky as they're not totally flushed. For
these, what we did was, I had someone help me put a small piece of
scotch tape right below each of the 3 buttons. From left to right they
are, volume down, play/pause and volume up. Note, if you touch and hold
your finger on the play/pause icon, you'll hear a tone indicating the
speaker is listening, at which point you can use... I'll just call her
Lady A, as I don't wanna set off any of yall's devices accidentally.

Immediately above the play/paue icon, on the Beam is an icon for
toggling the microphone on or off. I agree Sonos made a poor choice by
making these things touch capassive controls. I tried to see if they
could redesign the prototype speaker for the Sonos 1, not to be confused
with the Play1, as it, too, has the touch panel on the top of the
speaker. I wanted them to put, if not braille, at least little dot
indentations in the plastic housing of the speaker right beside each of
the buttons. One thing I forgot to mention was, on all these speakers,
if you swype left to right from volume down past play/pause over to
volume up, then lift your finger, so basically, just a swype to the
right on the pad, it doesn't have to be a total straight line. If you're
on a bit a curve, that isn't going to be an issue. As long as you stay
on the pad, which is very difficult to not do, you'll move to the next
track. Obviously, you probably can guess, if you go the other way, from
right to left, that will give you the previous track, yes.

The Play5 second generation speakers are very very easy with the
touchpad. They are flush alined right on top of the speaker in the smack
dab center. What I suggest is feel the front speaker grill. You will
find a logo which is incredibly raised which says Sonos. The letters
virtically go down the center of the grill of the speaker. If you find
that logo, then move your finger straight up toward the ceiling until
your finger moves off of the grill and front the front, on to the top of
the speaker you'll land right on play pause. So, what I suggest is, if
you want volume down, find the logo, then move your finger up from the
front of the speaker to the top, and maybe about an inch also to your
left. This would be about the length of the rounded tip of your finger
to the very first nuckle joint. Same with volume up. Only difference
will be, instead of slightly moving your finger to the left, you'd move
it to the right. But to center yourself where the pad actually is, just
remember. Use your Sonos logo on the speaker grill as your reference guide.

As for grouping speakers and controlling them with Lady A, regardless an
echo or similar device, or a capable Sonos speaker like the 1, or the
Beam, first make sure you have created an account on Amazon.com

Also be sure you have a Sonos account on Sonos.com

One word of warning. Regardless how many speakers are in your home, they
all, listen to me here very very carefully, this is crutial! If you
don't follow this, you'll be in for a nightmare! Trust me, I know first
hand! They all! must! must must must must! be signed in all speakers, to
the exact! key word exact! same Amazon account.

So, if you have an Amazon account and little Johnny has his own account
as well, you cannot put both his bedroom speaker and your downstairs
kitchen speaker on the same network and sign into Amazon on his speaker
with his account, and your kitchen speaker with your account.

If you have little children, and you're concerned that they could buy
things on your Amazon account with lady A, and therefore you don't want
them signing into your account on their speakers, there actually is a
sollution. On your account, under Lady A settings online, you can set a
4 digit pin, so any time you try buying something with Lady A from any
device, she'll say, to continue your purpose, please tell me your 4
digit pin. If your kid gets it wrong, then guess what: Sorry, no angry
birds movie for little Johnny. LOL! Just kidding. This by the way also
would apply for subscriptions, Audible content, Kindle content, music,
etc. Free content would be fine.

Also, if you're concerned about kids enabling skills that may not be age
appropriate, there are ways to filter that as well, but that's for
another post. My point is, don't worry about having to only be signed
into one account across the entire network. If you configure things
correctly, it won't be an issue. I'd be more than happy to help anyone
over the phone get this set up if needed. You'd just need to send me
your number off list, and the best time to reach you. If you don't feel
the vest with your screen reader, and use JAWS, we could even tandom.
I'm fully JAWS certified, and you can verify this through the VFO website.

First of all, make sure you have your rooms labeled the way you need
them to be. Open the controller on any platform, and go to Settings,
then Room Settings. Make sure that you see all the speakers, and that
their room names are how you like them. If not, activate any of them,
and in their settings screen specifically there will be an option to
rename the speaker to anything you'd like.

In my setup, I have a set of speakers called upstairs loft. I say a set,
as I have that room totally configured with Sonos for surround sound.
But, even ihad I not so, this still would be accurate. So, with the
Sonos skill enabled on my Amazon account, which my whole family is using
with lady A, all we now from any echo or like device, or any Sonos
enabled speaker have to do is say her name to activate her. I'm saying:
A L E X A, then once she's listening, say anything like normal, but at
the end of your utterance, add the room name. So, here are a few
examples excluding her name.

Play The Beatles Radio in upstairs Loft

Play Willy's Roadhouse from Sirius XM in Upstairs Loft

Crank it up in Upstairs Loft

Mute Upstairs Loft

Unmute Upstairs Loft

Stop Upstairs Loft: Note, if any speakers are grouped with upstairs
loft, they'll still keep playing. This only stops Upstairs Loft

Play The Beach Boys everywhere

Set the volume in Upstairs loft to 5.

You get the point.

I've not yet found a reliable way to shift media with lady A from one
room off to another without stopping the one room, then restarting on
the other. We did discuss this during part of the beta cycle with the
Sonos1. I can at least tell you that much, and that nothing really ever
came of it. We tried, but it was never released to do so, as it wound up
just being too buggy. That's all I can say though. I can't be more
specific. Same goes if you want to add another speaker into the group. I
found that the only way really reliably to do that is to use the
controller app itself, not lady A.

At the end of the day, I love using lady A with Sonos equipment, don't
get me wrong, but I really think they could a done a bit more than what
they did, honestly. Being I'm a pro certified audio engineer
though/producer/musician, I'm incredibly picky about my sound quality,
and I've by far found Sonos to hands down, beat practically every other
thing I've tried, and trust me, I've tried a ton. So really, that is the
main thing with Sonos that has really really won me over.

As I said, if I can help any of you all further with Sonos related
stuff, just ask.

clgilland07 at gmail.com

Chris.