[Electronics-Talk] best system for phone numbers and addresses

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Fri Aug 2 15:39:02 UTC 2019

You're probably using windows so only some of what I provide will be
useful.  First you need to export your contacts to an email message and
get that on your computer.  Next, you need a vcf extractor capable of
exporting to other formats since contacts when exported by email get
exported in vcf format.  I have no file name suggestions for you in this
case since I do Linux and don't do windows.  Finally, emacs runs on
windows and linux if installed properly.  If you install the latest
version, as part of emacs you get orgmode.  Searching youtube for
orgmode tutorials will get you necessary information on orgmode.  For
your application, you would create and maintain an orgmode table.
Fortunately for you, an orgmode table is a text file which means any
editor can handle it that will save in ascii.  That's also fortunate
since you loose out on all that byte overhead with extra file size that
does nothing for you.  A prudent utility to download which can help with
integrity is sha512sum.  If your table you just saved is in good shape
get its sha512sum and store that along with a date stamp possibly in
braille if you use braille.  Now, before you do another edit, get an
sha512sum of the table again and compare that to the last brailled
sha512sum.  If they're identical, very likely your table is in good
shape.  If you save each table with a date in the file name, and
something happens to your latest table you have a chance of going back
and getting a good version from which to start over again.  Since all
thumb drives/flash disks come through China before returning to America
for sale this is a prudent precaution to take to insure your data
remains okay.
I bought two sandisk flash drives from Walmart and both had to be
returned since those were defective.